Steve Goble

Choose life. (Deuteronomy 30:19)

Script: Tom DeFalco
Pencils: Rick Leonardi

One of the storytelling aspects that got me hooked on Marvel Comics was that most issues were deeply embedded in a much bigger world.

The 'Marvel Universe' enabled far more than simple guest-appearances by characters from other comics. There were social and political situations developing in Marvel's version of New York too, which had long-term repercussions across a whole range of titles. Much like how I and my friends fit into the real world.

My life doesn't take place in bite-sized episodes that I, and those around me, forget all about straight afterwards either.

When I began collecting Amazing Spider-Man in 1984/5, Peter Parker had fallen-out with his Aunt May. This storyline went on for ages, with issue after issue each featuring a panel somewhere that taunted "See Amazing Spider-Man #253!" I remember someone raving in the letters-column of #260 about what a big moment May's reaction to Peter's dropping-out of college had been.

Oh I know what you're thinking, what's the big deal about Peter Parker having a row with his aunt? As a normal teenager, shouldn't I have been more taken with references back to Spidey's turning-point showdown with Heelwoman The Giant Shoe? Nope, I'm afraid that the super-villains just never really did it for me. I was much more attracted by the idea of having super-powers in an ordinary world, so it was Peter Parker's humanity that really inspired me.

Anyhoo, I bought back-issues, but never quite made it back as far as #253 and Peter's falling-out with his aunt.

Until tonight – New Year's Eve 2008.


It's not a big deal, it's just something that, for over 20 years, I've always intended to get a hold of and read at some point.

Cheers, Herschel.

Labels:

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment

<< Back to Steve's home page

** Click here for preceding post(s) **

** Click here for following post(s) **