Steve Goble

Choose life. (Deuteronomy 30:19)

I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.

- Philippians 4:11 (NIV)


Another epistle full of positive thinking, driven mainly by comparing everything to God / Christ.

Despite being under guard, Paul appears pleased with the publicity that his arrest is bringing to the gospel. Although others seem to be seizing his place within the church, he’s just glad that the church is growing as a result. He actually says that he wants to die at one point to be with Christ, but reckons that remaining alive will be better for the church.

If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body.

- Philippians 1:22-24 (NIV)


There he goes spelling the word "labor" the American way again. ;)

The most positive thing Paul has to say though is again about Jesus, and appears to actually be a quote from somewhere else…

Who, being in very nature[Or in the form of] God,
did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
but made himself nothing,
taking the very nature[Or the form] of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
and became obedient to death—
even death on a cross!
Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
and gave him the name that is above every name,

- Philippians 2:6-9(NIV)

Labels:

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment

<< Back to Steve's home page

** Click here for preceding post(s) **

** Click here for following post(s) **