Steve Goble

Choose life. (Deuteronomy 30:19)

Doctor Who / Happy Days crossover
The first Doctor tries to figure-out DVD technology
Last September I watched the first 3 episodes of this off of a DVD that flatmate Cathy got hold of, and spent a great deal of time trying to set the options to give me the version with funky new CGI-effects. In the event, it still looked like the effects were done in the 60s, and I was left wondering whether I had failed to understand the technology, or if they had deliberately made their funky modern effects look old in order not to detract from the rest of the programme.

Why that looks like a flying-saucer about to crash into the houses of parliament and then into the Thames
Anyway, once back here in the UK, I dug out my double-VHS copy of episodes 4, 5 and 6 to complete the tale...

Old Doctor Who in the old days
The Daleks are plotting to steal the Earth’s magnetic core and replace it with their own machine, so that they can pilot the Earth around space like a giant spaceship. Why is anyone’s guess. I guess that’s just the sort of mutant-hearted thing that Daleks do.

Still with the Happy Days look
Hartnell’s absence from episode 4 is covered very well, and the show’s first instance of writing a character out permanently (Susan) is built-up to much better than I remember too.

One daaay, I shall come back.  No I won't.
Three cheers also for only the second unexpected appearance of a Dalek at the end of an episode 1...

I can't believe I didn't see this coming from the title
You know you’re watching Doctor Who when that happens.

Labels: ,

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment

<< Back to Steve's home page

** Click here for preceding post(s) **

** Click here for following post(s) **