Steve Goble

Choose life. (Deuteronomy 30:19)

I have no particular opinion on this book, because it does exactly what it says on the title.

33 short extracts from the Biblical book of Psalms are presented in this pocket-sized hardback booklet, grouped into the headings Introduction, Praise, Petition, Peace, Purity and Provision. (they really should have called that intro Preface)

It occurred to me that there were about the right number of them to read one a day over a month, so I've been using this as my daily-ish Bible reading guide for about the past 40 days. In practice, I have to admit though that I've usually just read each excerpt, and then promptly forgotten all about it. I've tried to address this by reading each passage twice, slowly, and then rerereading it again the following day, but they just haven't consciously sunk in. Still, it does mean that I've got through the book three times! Perhaps I needed to give it more daily time, and/or have some questions to guide me…

The one quotation that did sink in though was also the shortest one: page 31's famous Be still, and know that I am God. I need to be told that one a bit more often in my life.

There are umpteen different translations used for this compilation, which is an attitude that works for me here.

Does this make me a psalmreader?


(available here)

Labels: ,

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment

<< Back to Steve's home page

** Click here for preceding post(s) **

** Click here for following post(s) **