Steve Goble

Choose life. (Deuteronomy 30:19)


I guess I’m a bit of a sucker for character movies about the older generation, so when it’s a science-fiction outing too... well.

Space Cowboys gets Clint Eastwood, Tommy Lee Jones, Donald Sutherland and James Garner together on board the space shuttle, and sets them unravelling a conspiracy from the cold war. Along the way, the tirade of gags prove to be just as durable.

Frank: ”Clock’s ticking Bob, and I’m only getting older.”

Jay Leno: ”Now you all have military backgrounds... North or South?”

Frank: ”You know what the worst day of my life was? The day Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon. I was probably the only person in America who wanted to commit suicide that day.”
Col. Hawkins: ”Well, thanks a lot Frank. We haven't spoken in twelve years and that's basically been the big question on my mind - what could make you commit suicide.”

There are no real surprises in here, but that’s not the point. Space Cowboys radiates enough charm to create its own artificial atmosphere.

Labels:

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment

<< Back to Steve's home page

** Click here for preceding post(s) **

** Click here for following post(s) **