Steve Goble

Choose life. (Deuteronomy 30:19)

It took a bit of doing, (well, 999 bits actually) but this morning I published my 1,000th blog post.

As I've taken 15 posts down over the years for the odd random reason, today's clips-show is a complete index of the remaining 984 entries, broken-up into the sections that they seem to have naturally fallen-into.

1. Autobiographical
2. Bible reviews
3. Book reviews
4. Celebrity Bible-Readers
5. Comic reviews
6. Doctor Who reviews
7. Film reviews
8. Games
9. Multimedia-ish posts
10. Music reviews
11. Radio reviews
12. Stage reviews
13. TV reviews

Some fell-into more than one category, while anything that seemed miscellaneous I just lumped in with 'autobiographical', which they all are, really.

Without a doubt, the posts that I have enjoyed writing the most are the autobiographical ones. For better or worse, my life is a little less-eventful these days, so those pieces have accordingly dried-up lately. I find this a shame, because without them I just wouldn't bother.

So - are 1,000 blog-posts something to be proud of or not? Should I punch the air at such an achievement, or curl-up and hide my shame at having wasted so much of my life on such introspection - worse, introspection on the flipping internet?

I just don't know, but I'm glad to have spent that time actively writing 1,000 articles, rather than more passively, say, watching 1,000 movies or TV programmes. (today's list proves I've only watched 400) ;)

(there are other websites out there that one can spend this amount of time on, with much less to show for it afterwards)

In fact, this index page has been a long time in coming. I've been aware for a while that the only search-devices on here have been the text search-box at the top, and the monthly archives in the side-bar. Not much good for browsing. The milestone of the thousandth post has simply given me the motivation to finally put it together.

For anyone who's interested, I compiled the list by copying and pasting all the hyperlinked titles into an OpenDocument spreadsheet, which allowed me to save them all as html code. Then I simply rearranged them all into order.

Nearly all the 50-odd hits that this blog currently gets each day are for posts from the past, so maybe, just maybe, this will enable casual surfers, be they Bible-Readers or Doctor Who fans, to see what else on here might be of some vague interest.

But still – a thousand? Maybe the time taken to write all that is hard to justify.

The only explanation that I can offer is that I write because, as a writer, I have to.

Is that really such a bad reason?

Streaming on the internet
Fig. 1: In Howick in March 2006, looking forward to celebrating my 1,000th post in three-and-a-bit years' time.

Labels:

7 comment(s):

At 3:37 pm, Anonymous Rhett said...

Congratulations! You are still on of my most-read blogs. You nestle on in my bookmarks between Sara Dekker from church, and the Tall Skinny Kiwi blog.

 
At 8:24 am, Blogger Steve Goble said...

Cheers Rhett! I think your blog is my most-read blog, even despite its ongoing death and resurrection! :) Really - I learn tons from it.

 
At 5:29 pm, Anonymous Rhett said...

Haha! You are too kind. Well, as I've hinted, I don't think it will survive in it's current form past this year... being a "real pastor" rather than a student looms, and I probably won't have time, let alone the inclination to stir the pot quite so much. But I'm enjoying it at the moment.

BTW I still think you need to publish this somehow. It's like an adult version of the Secret Diary of Adrian Mole (which I loved)!

 
At 12:51 pm, Blogger Steve Goble said...

"in it's current form" – Well that's an improvement on what I was anticipating! :)

Thanks for the kind words. I think I've always intended to collect and publish some of it one day. Even before I started blogging I was thinking in that direction. I still need some sort of a conclusion to take place in my life before I would look at that though.

Dreamt I saw you again last night. You said "I'm going to watch U2 on YouTube".

Steve Goble. (aged 38¼)

 
At 2:44 pm, Anonymous Rhett said...

Haha! Well, when U2 start touring in late July, I will be watching lots of them on YouTube.

 
At 2:50 pm, Blogger Steve Goble said...

So it was a prophetic dream!

:)

 
At 4:07 pm, Anonymous Rhett said...

Wow, and I just started reading the book of Daniel too.

...This is all too much! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Back to Steve's home page

** Click here for preceding post(s) **

** Click here for following post(s) **