Steve Goble

Choose life. (Deuteronomy 30:19)


It's taken me three years, but at last I have watched Donnie Darko.

Leisurely, engrossing film about an open-minded loner coming to terms with seeing things that no-one will ever believe.

Quite how unhinged, if at all, Donnie is is never made entirely clear. The visions he sees appear to all be true, but the acts of terrorism that he commits seem to be some form of mind-control.

It's fascinating to watch such an uncompromisingly dark film about a man who is, frankly, a good guy. I could describe him as abnormal, but somehow that implies that the people around him are in some way better.

Darko thinks about things a lot more than they do, and in several ways sees the world more clearly. The scene in which he tells his teacher off for over-simplifying people's motivations is just the sort of lesson that we all need drummed into us.

The end of the film confused me though, and I don't think it was meant to.

But hey – maybe it was. Maybe Darko's making me think about it too much.

Labels:

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment

<< Back to Steve's home page

** Click here for preceding post(s) **

** Click here for following post(s) **