Steve Goble

Choose life. (Deuteronomy 30:19)

Why do they call these things 'cell groups'? It sounds as though either:

a. We've been kidnapped by extremists, and had to resort to secretly studying the Bible in a cell, or

b. We've been kidnapped by extremists, and forced at gunpoint to study the Bible in a cell.

Anyway, in this case the extremist doing the kidnapping was Neville from my regular Sunday haunt Edge City Church. Neville felt that the high number of creatively-minded people attending Edge warranted a home group all of their own, so tonight we all sat around getting to know each other.

I'm not sure, but going around saying our names and talking about ourselves reminded me of how I understand Alcoholics Anonymous meetings begin. "Hello everyone. My name's Steve." ("Hiii, Steve!" they all reply.) "I first began reading the Bible when I was 11. Just a little each day at first. Then I stopped for a while, but now I'm back on it again. Every Sunday I sneak out to church, but my family all think that I'm safely down the pub."

Presumably in 10 weeks' time Neville will have weaned us off the Bible, and will have us all reading nice harmless travelogues by Tony Hawks.

Well that's my "creatively-minded" take on the evening anyway. My "accurately-minded" self recalls that we all had a great time, and I for one am thoroughly look forward to the weeks ahead.

Thanks for setting this running, Nev.

Labels:

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment

<< Back to Steve's home page

** Click here for preceding post(s) **

** Click here for following post(s) **