Steve Goble

Choose life. (Deuteronomy 30:19)

It had been over 9 months in coming. Now the moment was upon me.

I was at reception. In the queue. As a member of the public.
Nicole, the girl whose eyes I'd seen sparkling countless times on the lounge videoloop, was asking me if I'd paid a $50 bond when I'd begun working in housekeeping last August. I replied that I had, and that she also owed me a $20 key deposit from when I'd checked-in last July. As she telephoned my boss in housekeeping to confirm, I picked up the message book, grabbed a yellow biro with the hostel's name on it, and realised that I hadn't the foggiest idea what to write.

Hello!

I HAVE LEFT. I AM REALLY GRATEFUL TO HAVE MET EACH OF YOU. THE LAST 9 MONTHS HAVE BEEN...WELL THERE ARE SO MANY ADJECTIVES...FUN, CHALLENGING, DAFT...I AM TRULY LOST FOR WORDS.

I WILL MISS EVERYONE. MAY GOD BLESS EACH OF YOU ON THE PATH HE HAS FOR YOU.

Steve.

Pathetic, huh? JP wrote an entire page when he left. He likened living every day in the hostel to Bill Murray's movie Groundhog Day. I, on the other hand, only managed to come up with the paragraph above, and my email address. Heurrrrrrrghhhh...

Nicole put the phone down and reminded me that my boss had a reference letter for me. I raced round to her office, quickly saying goodbye to whoever I bumped into on the way.

I've always been very careful about how I dealt with my boss. At any moment she could have failed to see the sense in my saving food that was to be thrown out, or of using blankets instead of a duvet, or of letting me stay in a room on my own for a month. Although I'd done nothing wrong, I'd stayed quiet anyway in case she'd decided to make any of these things wrong. I'd become a bit suspicious of her.

She kissed me on the cheek and gave me a big hug. At that moment, more than any other, I knew that I really was leaving.

Tomorrow's post here.

Labels:

2 comment(s):

At 6:55 am, Blogger Kurt said...

Well, this explains why you are no longer offering the Bible reading ;). I wanted to encourage you that although you may not have seen the results you wanted (perhaps a few hundred souls coming to Jesus, God being exhalted the same way Fosters Lager is, etc), I am sure that the results will be there none the less.
Check out 2 Corinthians 9 (especially from verse 6) for encouragement on the idea of service for service sake, and here is Romans 8:28 -
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him,[j] who[k] have been called according to his purpose.
You have acted as a farmer, or rather a farm worker, planting seeds of a crop you do not know, for a harvest you do not know when will happen, to feed unknown diners.
If before you started the Bible readings, you were in prayer about it and tested the spirit of the project through prayer and conversation with other believers, and it was done for the glory of the Son, rest assured it was part of God's plan. Now go back to the questions your pastor friends gave you for those who might attend -
What is it saying (what does the fact that you had this at all say to others)?
How does this change you?
I hope that you will continue to post; you have been an encouragement for the three weeks since I found your site. May you feel God's grace today in an exceptional way and realize what He thinks you are worth. Peace.

 
At 6:42 am, Blogger Steve Goble said...

WOW - what an encouraging comment!

I really appreciate this, Kurt. If I'm honest, I really never expected anyone to come to the Bible studies for the first few weeks. I will certainly take time to consider what you have said.

For readers' convenience I will quote 2 Corinthians 9:6 (Good News) here:

Remember that the person who sows few seeds will have a small crop; the one who sows many seeds will have a large crop.

I am going to continue posting - mostly I just write down whatever God seems to do!

Thanks for reading, and again especially for your encouragement Kurt.

God bless,
Steve.

 

Post a Comment

<< Back to Steve's home page

** Click here for preceding post(s) **

** Click here for following post(s) **